Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Becoming One of the Older People

I'm Curious, did any of you when you were younger (say 5-16), run into the annoying situation while at group get togethers (homegroup, church, family camps), where the a lot of the younger kids would be playing a game like soccer, and all of the older kids (16-25~) would be sitting around talking, and would hardly ever play the games? And then you'd go and ask them to play, but they'd just keep talking, and maybe once in a while come out and play for a few minuts, and when they did, it was like the most awesome thing ever, and if you got them on your team, victory was guaranteed?

I remember being in that position, and thinking that all of the 'old kids' got annoying because all they wanted to do was talk! I mean, how boring is that!?!

But now that I've graduated to the category of 'old kid,' I can understand why they always wanted to talk. Now I'm torn when the littler kids come to me asking me to play soccer/volleyball/ultimate frisbee, because I am really enjoying the conversations I'm having, and yet, I can understand their plight, (plus the afore mentioned sports are really fun).
Have any of you, wether you're in the 'young kids' or 'old kids' category run into this problem? And if so, What do you usually do?
~Paul

4 comments:

  1. Hey Paul!!

    In our church, a lot of both goes on...the older kids really participate in the physical games a LOT. But I do know what you're saying about wanting to talk sometimes, too. I always used to think the adults were "boring," but now I really enjoy talking with them all. I'm 18, so have just started appreciating sitting around discussing/debating theological or political or whatever topics.

    We older kids normally play rough until we're tired out and then sit around and talk to recuperate. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so I'm not the only one!
    There aren't many other people near my age at my church back here in Oregon (and there's non back in Michigan), so I've always conversed with the adults, which perhaps makes it a little more difficult as well, because you can't go "Ok, so in 5 minutes, let's all go play ball!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. From an "old boy":
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean!
    And I like sports. Especially ultimate frisbee.

    Nothing drives me away like conversations where everyone is afraid of looking dumb and the results are profoundly brainless.

    Nothing gets me away from sports like great conversation on theological topics.

    People who like talking about great things, and talk well about them, are rare. If you can find people like this, seize the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think anyone's ever the only one :D

    Yeah...I gotcha. That does make it harder. There's not that many older kids at our church, either, but we make do. Just keep doin' a little of both :)

    The transition from kid to older kid/young adult is hard in more ways than one. At least we can all bounce ideas off each other!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I would love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...