Friday, August 10, 2012

The Rule of Thirds

Or should I say "The Exception of Thirds"?

To preface this short post, I want to say that I do not claim to be an authoritative commentator on this subject, nor have I even come to a decision myself. I've been thinking a lot about third parties lately due to the fact that the current republican nominee is not looking all that attractive. I will probably do a number of posts on this as I mull my thoughts around in my head, so this is me just thinking out loud.

Third Parties.
They get quite a bit of attention come most presidential elections, but the question always comes up
"What's the point? A third party candidate has never won the presidency, so why throw your vote away on them?"

This is a (para)phrase I hear fairly often from prominent people in the homeschooling/libertarian circles:
"Should we just chose the lesser of two evils?"

But I wonder, is this statement actually valid?

Romans 3:23: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Psalms 14:3: They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

So if we vote for a third party, aren't we technically just voting for the lesser of three evils, since all men are evil? So it seems like that statement is, to some extent, invalid.

And to keep the mood light hearted, just remember:
"One must always chose the lesser of two weevils!!" (From Master and Commander)

2 comments:

  1. But the nearer weevil has significant advantages in both length and breadth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that all men are evil. I don't think the idea that there are times when we should reject both prominent candidates rests on a notion that there is another candidate who is perfect. Rather, the idea is that we can only vote for a candidate who meets minimum biblical qualifications.

    It's a lot like the minimum biblical qualifications for a spouse. If there aren't any women who meet those qualifications, I'm going to stay a bachelor. And if the only qualified woman around is above my station and I know there's no chance she'll be interested in me, I'm still going to talk to her dad.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I would love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...