Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pandoras Box


Through an interesting set of circumstances, I ended up staying at a hotel in between connecting flights on my way back to MI from Mexico. So I'm here all alone, with internet, and a television set, nobody with me to see what I'm doing, or what I'm watching. Now the battle starts. If I do turn on the TV, will  watch edifying things, or will I succumb to my fleshly desires? We don't get TV at home, or in MI, so I don't really know what's on when, what are good shows, etc, so I would have to do some channel surfing, and who knows what might flash by as I'm doing so?
So I decided to simply leave it off altogether. The amount of lousy programming that's on there isn't worth wading through to see if there is anything worth watching. I know how easy it is to slowly slip into watching something slightly objectionable, and once you start sliding, it's hard to stop.
I'm not saying that if you have a TV in your house, then your are evil. There is nothing inherently wrong with television, and if you know which channels have good programming, then you don't have to wade through the muck and the mire.
There is such reward in overcoming the temptation to lust. If you can overcome that, then there isn't any temptation that you (with the Lords help) can't overcome. Lust is probably one of the strongest forces a man will face. Look at how many businesses, churches, and families that have been brought down because the Boss, Pastor, or Father fell into the sin of lust. The number is stagering.
But you can't just leave a time vacuum in the TV's place, so I did other productive things that were on my mental list of "to do's". I finished a lengthy email (which I love doing), and made some phone calls to family and friends back in Oregon. Time is valuable, and it's the one thing that all people have the same amount of. How will you use yours?
~Paul

1 comment:

  1. I don't watch very much TV, maybe some news. When my family wants to watch a movie we use Clearplay which filters out the objectionable material. When my children were teenagers they loved it and often had their friends over to view a cleaned up movie.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I would love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...