Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lessons in selflessness

"Ah, Finally Finished" I thought, "Room's all clean, now I can start working on my project". I walked downstairs to empty the garbage can, but as I was on my way back up, Dad called in from the other room "Paul, could you help Emily with the pancakes?" I really didn't want to at that moment, "Emily's a fine cook, she doesn't need my help" I reasoned, but when I walked over, and she was melting 1 3/4 cup of butter, I knew something was up. "That's a lot of butter!" I thought, I looked at the recipe, and sure enough, it called for 1 3/4 cup of flour, not butter. "Well, maybe she does need help". So, after some more inner conflict, and trying to reason why she didn't really need my help, I decided that my project could wait, but dinner couldn't. So I played Scullery maid, and helped her prepare the pancakes.
I'm really glad I did. Not only was it a good lesson for me, about dying to self, but she's a fun girl to cook with! Emily (who is 7 by the way) almost always has a positive attitude about her, so even when something doesn't go quite as planned, she just let's it slide, and looks to fix it.
I didn't really get to work on my project that evening, but as far as I'm concerned, it was an evening well spent!
~Sir Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I would love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...